Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Guilty!

Any guesses of what this post is about? It can be about so many "guilty things" during this troublesome time in the world. But no, it's not about Rupert and James Murdoch and The Newsworld, it's not about Cassey Anthony (I cannot even believe that this actually have taken place), and it's not about the man that I admired, Arnold Schwarzenegger. It is about you and me and any woman out there that is feeling guilty about taking some time off.

I am 100% sure that it happened to you many many times. The GUILT of doing nothing. The feeling of shame and discuss, "HOW DARE YOU!" The time of life wasted on rest and relaxation. "WHAT WAS I THINKING?" Are you with me?

Ok, may be not all of us feel this way. I know that most of the time I do not. But last day and a half I've tormented myself about taking few hours off.

Life has been very hectic for the last few month: school, exams, marketing campaign, clients, Current Woman and of course family. Most of it at the same time. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my life. It is filled with everything I enjoy and I would not change it for anything (well, may be just a bit more time off). I am also aware that there are many women in the world that deal with exact same scenarios every single day.

That brings me to the question, do they feel guilty for taking time off?

What is time off and why do I need it anyway? Well, as some of you might now I am in real estate. This usually means that I work when everyone else is off. Weekends? Yes, please! Evenings? Count me in! But there is also a lot more work takes place behind the scenes. It all happens during the time when regular people are at work. So, in reality I do not have official time off (unless I book something myself). And working for myself means no work, no pay. And pay is required for those things called bills.

So, do I really need time off? ABSOLUTELY! Time off gives me a chance to relax my body and most importantly to refresh my mind. In both of my businesses my mind is the powerful weapon. I am a creative person and need time to create. I have many ideas that just waiting to be implemented and that requires time. My ideas require marketing that take careful preparation and time.

This is where the time off becomes very handy. It gives me a chance to clear and refresh my mind and implement all I'd like to accomplish (last night I cleaned a big pile of papers that accumulated from my real estate dealings and here I am writing a new post today).

Then, why do I feel guilty for doing something that I need in my life? Why do I stress out about something that actually helps me?

Honestly, I don't know. Could it be that there is still so much to do? Could it be that the perfectionist in me still fighting for the right to survive? Could it be our society that pushes us for bigger and better?

Whatever it is, all of us will have our own answer. The most important thing to remember is to listen to your body and remember that we are only humans. We get busy, we get tired, we get overwhelmed, we get vulnerable. And being vulnerable can lead to the feeling of guilt.

So, take my advise, take that time off and do not feel guilty! Restful you, makes a happier world!

I'd love to know if you have the same feeling and how do you deal with it. Please leave a comment.

In the mean time, have a fantastic day and remember,

Be Active! Be Involved! Be a Current Woman!

1 comment:

  1. I know!!! I worked my ass off to finish my new novel, fretting because I never had enough time to read for pleasure, then, once it was done, found myself with leisure time -- whooppee! But have I been able to truly enjoy it? No. I've read two books in two weeks (while helping my lover care for his visiting 7-year-old) and now I'm back to researching my next book. Of course, I do love writing even more than reading...

    ReplyDelete